Find jobs in tech and life science
Uppsala Talent Fair is an online recruiting event helping talent within technology and life science industries to meet with job providers – exciting growing companies in the region. Uppsala International Hub will be there for the first event Thursday 5th May 2022. Will you?
- Find jobs in tech and life science in Uppsala companies
- Our jobs board helps you to connect with each other ahead of the event.
- Get a ticket to our free live online event on 5th May 2022 to meet job providers 1:1
What’s cooking in Uppsala’s life science- and tech business
Make you mark with some of Uppsala’s strongest companies. With over 6,000 employees, 300 companies and a turnover of over SEK 33 billion (2019), life science is easily Uppsala’s biggest business sector.
Every day, world-class research within diagnostics, cancer, antibiotic resistance, plant genetics and chemical ecology take place at the two universities and within the Uppsala University Hospital and the University Animal Hospital.
Companies within pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and diagnostics come here to expand their international business and collaborate around shared goals of improving the common health of our population.
Businesses evolve here: from Pharmacia to Pfizer, to GE Healthcare and now to Cytiva Corporation. Kabi-Fresenius, Thermo Fisher are into medical technology, diagnostics and allergy, and the spin-off company from Pharmacia – now Galderma – develops innovative products to enhance skin health.
The growth in Uppsala’s established life science companies is 10–15 percent per year.
A growing tech sector
What is often neglected is that Uppsala also houses as many tech companies. Tech is, just like life science, an umbrella term that includes lots of subcategories. There we find prominent companies that started in Uppsala, but which, like Pharmacia, have sold, moved or appear in a different form today; Skype, MySQL, Klarna and the gaming companies Ongame and Dice to name a few.
Our critical mass of entrepreneurs coming from the academia, turning research into products and services, is starting to have a real and massive impact. Uppsala is the main supplier of critical tech talent to Stockholm. But there are plenty of them staying, cherishing their bonds to those building start-ups just 38 minutes away in the capital, and the same goes for those who left. This fuses the Stockholm-Uppsala tech communities into one merged tech metropole.
Five factors that favor innovation
- Density – two world-class universities, two university hospitals and cutting-edge industries
- Sustainability – numerous awards within the sustainability space and thought leadership
- Creativity – steady in-flow of talent nurturing a climate for new ideas based on critical thinking
- History – rooted in 1,500 years of breaking new ground; Linnaeus, 15 Nobel laurates, Pharmacia and more
- Proximity – all mentioned above is located within a mere 15-minute bike radius, with Arlanda international airport an 18 minutes train ride away
Ask the hub
At Uppsala International Hub we help you move, get settled and thrive in Uppsala. We love our home county and are excited to introduce you to all the opportunities, activities and communities on offer.
We guide you in making Uppsala your new home, whether you’re settling here for good or a short while, coming alone or with family. Check around on this web site where we provide relevant information for your move including visas and permits, schools for international families and how to find accommodation in Uppsala.
During Uppsala Talent Fair 2022 you meet us on our 2D-booth "Welcome to Uppsala".
Uppsala by the numbers
- Population of Uppsala municipality 237,000 and the county 350,000 inhabitants
- Companies within Tech 300+
- Companies in Life science 300+ and 3 of the 4 largest private employers
- 2x World-leading universities with close to 30,000 students
- 3x National Swedish authorities
- 2x University Hospitals
- 3x Science Parks
- One of the world’s best business incubators
- 3x Named Climate Capital by WWF
- All in the city within 15 minutes reach by bike
Uppsala never sits still. With its world-famous reputation in life science, tech, advanced production and environmental innovation integrated with the Stockholm region’s start-up scene, Uppsala is a county synonymous with growth. Growth that drives opportunities, fuels breakthroughs and attracts the most ambitious, forward-thinking talent in the world.
Uppsala is a real destination city, alive with restaurants, shops, cultural and sporting events. The city center is the heart of it all but be sure to head out into the surrounding countryside too.
Meet our Internationals
Curious about what other international talents think of Uppsala? Meet Zorana, Ruisheng, Aayushi and Antoine who all have set up their new lifes here.
Meet our internationals
"If you plan to go here – remember to ask for help if you need it. The Swedes are very kind and helpful, but they won’t help you until you ask for it." Ruisheng XiongMore voices from Uppsala
Uppsala Talent Fair is organized by Uppsala Municipality, the Chamber of Commerce, Stuns, Region Uppsala, Uppsala University and the Swedish Public Employment Service together with Base10.